1. Ellis Corporate is committed to complying with its obligations under the Privacy Act, 1988 and the associated National Privacy Principles ("the NPPs").
Application of the NPPs to Ellis Corporate
2. Ellis Corporate is bound by the NPPs either as a consequence of it being an organisation with an annual turnover of more than $3 million or due to the fact that it derives a benefit, service or advantage by the collection or disclosure of information and opinions about individuals whose identity is apparent or can be ascertained.
3. However, as with all organisations, the NPPs do not apply to personal information of current or former employees contained in employee records when those records are used directly in connection with the employment relationship. Further, it should be noted that some exemptions are contained within the NPPs with respect to matters such as the disclosure of information relating to public health or public safety, the disclosure of information with respect to law enforcement enquiries and the disclosure of particular information relating to legal proceedings and negotiations.
4. Ellis Corporate, through its Privacy Officer, is happy to provide further details as to the extent to which it is required to comply with the NPPs should any person wish. Alternatively, further details of the obligations imposed upon private organisations under Australia's privacy laws can be obtained directly from the office of the Privacy Commissioner or by reference to the NPPs and the Privacy Commissioner's associated guidelines.
5. The types of personal information held by Ellis Corporate includes the following:
- The obtaining of information from vendors used with respect to the marketing and sale of real estate properties and businesses.
- The collection and use of information from databases of comparable sales of properties and businesses in order to appraise the value of other properties and businesses and in order to assist in the marketing of those properties and businesses.
- Information from purchasers and potential purchasers of properties and businesses.
- Details of properties, owners and tenants used for the purpose of managing the leasing of Both commercial and residential properties.
- Data obtained from third parties for the use of marketing, selling and leasing real estate properties and businesses.
The main purposes for which Ellis Corporate holds information
6. Ellis Corporate holds the information referred to above for the primary purpose of enabling it to conduct the services that it provides to its customers, vendors, purchasers, owners and tenants and to enable it to market the provision of those services.
- Ellis Corporate collects information to enable it to provide services in connection with the sale or leasing of properties and businesses.
- Information collected by Ellis Corporate is used to provide advice to customers and prospective customers with respect to real estate and business agency matters.
- Information collected by Ellis Corporate issued to assist with the delivery of services via the internet.
- Information obtained from third parties, including the Valuer General's Office, the Land Titles Office, local councils and other organisations is used for the purpose of assisting the agency in the valuing, selling and leasing of properties and businesses.
- Information obtained by Ellis Corporate is used for the purpose of marketing the services of the agency
7. Ellis Corporate does not contract out services to third parties that involves disclosing personal information.
Contacting Ellis Corporate regarding privacy matters
8. If any individual wishes to make a complaint about Ellis Corporate's activities with respect to privacy and the NPPs or obtain more information about the way in which Ellis Corporate manages personal information it holds, the individual should make immediate contact with Ellis Corporate's designated Privacy Officer, David Ellis (Licensee). That Privacy Officer and the senior management of Ellis Corporate can be contacted at the following details: Ellis Corporate, 434 Vincent Street West, West Leederville, WA 6007. Office Phone: (08) 9388 9951, Office Fax: (08) 9388 9470, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Accessing personal information held by Ellis Corporate
9. Pursuant to the NPPs, persons are entitled to obtain access to personal information held by Ellis Corporate with respect to that individual. Subject to the relevant exemptions contained in the NPPs and subject to an individual providing sufficient proof of his or her identity Ellis Corporate will provide access to information that it holds relating to an individual. Ellis Corporate will charge a fee in most instances for the provision of this information based on the administrative cost of supplying the information requested. Further details as to these costs can be obtained by contacting Ellis Corporate's Privacy Officer.
10. Ellis Corporate requests, for the purposes of clarity, that any requests for access to personal information be made in writing addressed to Ellis Corporate's Privacy Officer.
11. Ellis Corporate will generally provide access to information by providing to the individual concerned copies of relevant documents. Where, for reasons of volume or otherwise, providing copies of documents is not practical, Ellis Corporate will make arrangements for the individual concerned to attend at Ellis Corporate's offices to carry out a physical inspection.
12. Wherever possible, Ellis Corporate will provide copies of documents or access to the information that it holds with respect to an individual within 14 days of the receipt of the relevant request. In the case of more complex requests Ellis Corporate will endeavour to provide access to the information within a period of 30 days.
13. If individuals believe that the information held relating to them is incorrect they are entitled to request that Ellis Corporate corrects that information.
14. Should Ellis Corporate believe that it is entitled to refuse a request to access information or to make corrections it will provide written reasons for its decision.
15. Should any person wish to obtain further information with respect to the type of personal information Ellis Corporate holds, the purposes for which Ellis Corporate uses that information and/or the way in which Ellis Corporate manages that information, that person should not hesitate to contact Ellis Corporate's Privacy Officer at the contact details set out above.